The guy at the Hanging Garden signal charmed me into buying 4 boxes of strawberries at Rs.100. Of course the “Gujju strawberry lover” that I am, I couldn’t resist the bargain! So here I am with nearly 600 grams of the luscious red fruit and loads of ideas, like this one or this!
I finally zeroed in on Banana & Strawberry Muffins.
The combination of these 2 flavours is one of my favourites! The sweetness of bananas with the slight tartness of strawberries… very fresh!
I decided to go in for an egg-less version because I wanted to bake for a group of 7 lovely ladies I call the Real Housewives of Walkeshwar 😉 I am directing a play with them right now. I love their energy & enthusiasm. After juggling their schedules with home, kids, husbands, work & social commitments, they still manage to make time to rehearse with me on a little production they are going to perform at a fundraiser at their children’s school. And these talented women have been feeding me delish & exciting food every single rehearsal! So these muffins are for them. Most of them follow the Jain religion & are vegetarian, hence the egg-less version. I found this recipe on Eggless Cooking.
- 1/2 cup / 120 gm Butter
- 1/2 cup Yogurt (beaten well)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup / 150 gm Strawberries (chopped)
- 2 &1/4 cups / 250 gm All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 cup / 200 gm Brown Sugar
- 1 &1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
I used Nutralite (a table margarine instead of butter as some very staunch Jains don’t eat butter either & I didn’t want to take a chance.
The batter was too stiff so I added 2 extra tablespoons of Yogurt & 2 tablespoons of milk to loosen it up.
I powdered the sugar so that it would mix easily
I used 1/4 teaspoon salt as I didn’t have unsalted butter.
My Secret Ingredient!
- 80 gm White Chocolate (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray it lightly with non stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and set it aside until it cools down to room temperature.
- Beat the yogurt well with vanilla extract & mix it in with the mashed bananas
- Add the butter to the above mixture when it is completely cool.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda & baking powder. Add the sugar & whisk the dry ingredients.
- Toss in the berries to the above. Make sure that all the berry pieces are coated with the flour mixture so that the fruit does not sink to the bottom of the muffins.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips.
- Do not overwork the batter or else the muffins would become dense.
- Fill each muffin cup with the batter using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake it for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack for the muffins to cool before you could remove it from the pan.