I spent the better part of the last week staying over in at my parents’ as my husband was away on a work trip to Goa without me 😦 Goa is on the West Coast of India, by the way… Beautiful beaches, the river, palm trees, churches, temples, the seafood (mmhmmnmm!!)
You get the picture!
Anyway, on the flip side I got to relive my single days again 😀 Gossip sessions with old friends over lunch, Maggi Cup Noodles, hot chocolate & drinks, a dinner date with my dad, marathon daytime soap sessions with my mom!
And the highlight… an awesome day-long bread-making workshop with Reshmy Kurian of Bombay Chow-party.
A group of 7 of us learnt how to bake Pain Ordinaire, Irish Soda Bread & Monkey Bread. Reshmy organized a large spread of accompaniments, including cheeses, cold cuts, and preserves, to go with our bread. So we baked, ate, drank wine & got to know some very interesting people!
Well the husband returned (& I secretly missed him…) So I’m back home & it felt good to be back, so what better way to show it by cooking for everyone!
Once again, no groceries done, so had to go with “Whatever’s in the Fridge”. I found chicken meatballs, a couple of chicken sausages, some cheese, frozen home-made focaccia, spaghetti, loads of eggs, tomatoes, coriander, onions, garlic, carrots, bell peppers, apart from the usual spices you find in an Indian kitchen.
So I made Rustic Chicken Meatballs to go with Spaghetti & a loaf of home-made Garlic & Cheese Bread (Yes… I almost always have the essentials for bread stocked up!)
Why “Rustic”? Well, I went with the rough & ready way of chopping & prepping & then went ahead & used very Indian flavours!! The end result… A winner with the family, paired with a glass of Red Wine!
For the Meatballs
- 350 gm Chicken Meatballs (ready-made)
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs (I used my left-over focaccia)
- 4 tablespoons Cheese
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 3 tablespoons Coriander
- Salt, Pepper, Ginger-Garlic Paste (to taste)
For the Sauce
- 2-3 Chicken Meatballs (chopped finely)
- 1 Cheese ‘n’ Onion Chicken Sausage (chopped finely)
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 1 small Carrot (diced)
- 1 Bell Pepper (diced)
- 5-6 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 3 Roasted Tomatoes (Recipe courtesy Reshmy Kurian of Bombay Chow-party.)
- 5 Tomatoes (pureed)
- ½ cup Coriander & Mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon each Jeera (Cumin Seeds) Ajwain (Caraway/Carom Seeds) & Saunf (Fennel Seeds /Aniseed)
- A pinch of Turmeric
- Salt & Red Chilli Powder to taste
- Olive Oil
- Add salt, pepper & ginger garlic paste to the egg & beat well.
- Mix cheese, bread crumbs & coriander in a flat plate.
- Dip each meatball in the egg mixture & roll it around in the bread crumb mixture.
- Set the crumb coated meatballs in a baking tray & bake for about 35-40 minutes at 180 C.
- Heat oil in a wok & toss in the jeera, ajwain & saunf.
- When the spices start to crackle, add in the onions & garlic. Cook until they are soft & pink.
- Stir in the chopped sausage & meatballs & cook for about 5 minutes on a high flame.
- Lower the flame & add in the carrots & bell peppers
- Roughly dice the roasted tomatoes & toss into the wok.
- Add the pureed tomatoes & season with salt, pepper, turmeric & red chilli powder.
- Add 3/4 of the coriander & mint & let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in the meatballs & allow them to cook in the sauce & absorb the flavours for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the rest of the coriander & mint & serve hot with Spaghetti & fresh bread.
This recipe serves 4-6 people