We are in only in March & the temperature yesterday was already 39 C!!! It is HOT & that’s an understatement. As much as I hate being cold, this… it’s just… well 3 more months of this weather is enough to turn anyone’s brains into overcooked noodles!
The heat coupled with the sound of the drills & cars from the neighbourhood… not to mention the dust… was enough to send me into a funk!
Anyway dinner had to be made so I pulled myself out of my calm & quiet place ( & Gary Marshall’s New Year’s Eve on TV!) & set out to cook dinner to work myself out of the funk!
Tuna Pasta seemed ideal… It’s light, summery & it was the one decent thing I could put together with “Whatever’s in the Fridge”!
- 2 cans of Tuna (160-180gm each)
- 1 Capsicum (cut in strips)
- 3 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 pack (200ml) Tomato Puree
- 6 cloves Garlic (chopped finely)
- Chilli Flakes
- Celery Salt
- Dried Oregano
- ½ glass Red Wine (more or less)
- Olive oil
I haven’t written out the quantity for the herbs & spices because I tasted my way through it. The husband & his folks like things spicy, so I upped the amount of chilli flakes but balanced it out with the sugar.
I realized when we sat down to eat that I could’ve tossed in some chopped black olives too.
I had 2 different cans of Tuna, a red chilli one & a regular one. They balanced each other out.
- Heat the oil in a wok & sauté the garlic till it’s brown.
- Add the capsicum & tomatoes & cook till soft.
- Pour in the tomato puree & add the seasoning.
- Swirl in the wine. Adjust the amount depending on the consistency of the sauce & taste.
- Add a little bit of sugar & then the Tuna. Mix well.
- Spoon onto the pasta.
Served with a bit of minced Goan sausage & store bought garlic bread on the side… a good fresh & quiet meal to round off a hot & noisy day! Got a “thumbs up” on this one!
This recipe serves 6 people